Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Big Government Inefficiency at the Smallest Level: A Personal Matter

When a medieval serf wanted to travel to a different area, he or she would need to obtain permission from their Lord in order to do so. The same was true of many activities outside of travel. For instance, they needed permission to marry or plant new crops. To acquire such permission they might seek an audience with their Lord or his Steward.

Obviously, American society is not composed of Serfs and Lords. Instead, we have citizens and petty bureaucrats. Citizens are ostensibly free. Petty bureaucrats exist to give force to the ‘ostensibly’ in the preceding sentence. If one needs a license to drive, hunt, purchase a gun or practice one’s trade; one must seek to obtain an audience with the relevant petty bureaucrat.
Their feudal domains are not geographically divided; they are divided according to the service they provide. I suppose this might represent an innovative, new form of government provided to us as part of the fallout of the enlightenment.
In any case, much like the medieval serf, the modern citizen does not see his or her government operating at the grand level. There is much talk of the problems of ‘big government’ which most people roughly equate to taxes on the wealthy or government regulations of industrial activity.
Although this does harm even the poorest of citizens in ways he or she may not imagine, the more obvious forms of government oppression come at the lower levels where the citizen’s activity is overseen by petty bureaucrats.
I recently decided to attempt to obtain a license and tag in the state of Alabama, where I live, work and vote. What follows is a brief list of the various ways in which my individual liberty as a citizen of this state has been overseen by petty bureaucrats.
1. I went to the tag office, where I was informed that I would need a state license to obtain a tag.
2. At the licensing office, I was informed that I needed certain documents in order to transfer my license from another state to Alabama.
3. The documents provided, I was informed that due to an (alleged) unpaid ticket from 2009, acquired in the State of Louisiana, I would need to provide additional documentation proving I had paid it.
4. After many calls to Louisiana (where someone humorously asked me if my name was spelled ‘Duc’) I was advised that the ticket had been paid (in 2009, before it was due) and that I would need to appear in person to obtain the said documentation which cannot be transmitted over the ‘unreliable’ internet.
5. Upon the obtaining of said documentation, I will tentatively, be forced to pay $100 to secure a ‘reinstatement’ of a license I never had in Alabama following an interview to determine whether I am a ‘safe driver.’
Let me briefly outline for my readers what this will cost me in terms of non-incidental costs alone.
1. $300                  The approximate amount of the initial ticket, paid in 2009.
2. $100                  The cost of the gas for the trip from Tuscaloosa, AL to Baton Rouge and back.
3. $100                  The cost of the reinstatement fee.
The Distance I must Travel in Order to Improve my Government Experience
For five-hundred dollars and a great deal of inconvenience, I can obtain an Alabama license. It is fortunate that my employment does not require any specific hours of labor and that I have the luxury of my own time.

Were I employed on an hourly basis, I would most assuredly find it more difficult to find the time to make the trip. Imagine also the hours I would have to spend waiting for the petty bureaucrat to have time to attend on my case. The opportunity cost would soar and my employer might find someone else who did not need so much time off from work to fill my job. Let us not even begin to think of the toll this will take on my aging car.
There are two competing views on how to solve the problems created by such incidents. The first is exemplified by a quotation from President Obama: “What we should be asking is not whether we need a big government or small government, but how we can create a smarter and better government.” I like to think of this as the ‘Better Government’ solution, which accepts that all systems oppress people and attempts to make the system less oppressive than it might otherwise be.

The second view, and the one I hold to, is that there should be no system which unjustly oppresses people. The unjust oppression I speak of arises not out of unavoidable problems but out of predictable inefficiencies. It is predictable that the states should miscommunicate regarding the status of my ticket, it is predictable that the system should not allow a fax or email of the same document I must pick up in person, it is predictable that even at the lowest level government should operate inefficiently.
An economist of some note, Milton Friedman, who is very often quoted wrote: “If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand.” Although the only shortage in my case is a lack of common sense and justice, the quotation still applies. Government, lacking any competition is inefficient. There is no reason why Louisiana’s Office of Motor Vehicles should consider using that system of tubes that we call the internet, there is no reason why Alabama’s Department of Motor Vehicles should obtain more staff to reduce waiting lines.

More importantly, there is no reason why either of the two should work toward the resolution of the problem of miscommunication because I am not a customer, I am a citizen. A customer is a first-class citizen in a place of business; a citizen is a second-class customer in the office of a government department. Every person who has ever been to a government office to acquire any product is aware of this fundamental truth.

If I was a medieval serf, I might consider offering my Lord a ‘gift’ to make the problem go away. The same solution might be cheaper to attempt than the enormous feat of travel I shall have to attempt in order to resolve this matter. 

In the same speech, President Obama also said: “Government is the roads you drove in on and the speed limits that kept you safe.” This age-old assumption, that the government should administer the maintenance of roads and the right to travel on them is one which we should seriously reconsider.
But the purpose of this brief article is not to discuss the specific issue of government administration of the highway system, it is to point out that even at the lowest level, government is inefficient. Government cannot be made better or less oppressive, it cannot improve in the same way that a business can because no individual has any interest in its improvement. Although our methods of oppressing people have changed since feudal times, this fundamental truth remains: when the government attempts to regulate any activity such as marrying, hunting or travelling the inevitable outcome is injustice.

No comments:

Post a Comment